Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirate's Life for Me




A couple of things that make me grin... A big grin generally transforms my face 3 afternoons a week when Ryan and I carpool home from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Office in Hampton. HAMPTON. You read that right. I'm a commuter, and let it be known that because I carpool, I get to ride in the HOVs, suckas. When we get in the car, NPR always greets us - the dial in the exact same spot as when we arrived at the office 8 hours earlier.




Last week on Wednesday's drive home we learned details about the Somalian pirates and their brazen attempt on an American ship. For instance, we learned that the Somali pirate attack on the Maersk Alabama was the first pirate attack on an American vessel since 1804. We chuckled. I get oddly patriotic at times. As facts unfolded, this became one of those times. I loved the fact that the first attempt on an American ship was unsuccessful - way to go, America. Of course the American crew quickly enacted a plan to disable said ship and find a way to fend off the pirates. Hello people, the ship's name is THE ALABAMA; if the pirates had done their homework they would have known not to mess with the south. I can just imagine those guys muttering, "The hell if you're taking MY ship. I'm an American." I also loved (hand over heart) that the captain offered himself as a hostage in exchange for the safety of his crew and his ship. That is beautiful. I listened to one of the crew interviewed today, and this man said of his captain who he described as a real hard ass and a man who appropriately runs a tight ship (in a southern accent), "He's one of those guys you don't like to work for, but you respect a lot." And a funny, this same man stated that he couldn't wait to get back to the small town where he lives in Florida where "nothing ever happens" and also he can't wait to spend time on his family's farm in Alabama where "nothing ever happens." Love it. And the irony was not lost on Ryan and me as we found out The Alabama was carrying food aid from USAID en route to Kenya when the pirates came aboard. Of course.




As Wednesday's story continued, we also heard that since the US Navy has had a presence in the Gulf of Aden/Indian Ocean in recent months all sorts of pirate ships have been commandeered and many pirate tools have been confiscated including automatic weapons, grenade launchers, and my personal favorites - a smattering of grappling hooks and ladders. These guys are real pirates.




Of course by now we know how the standoff came to an end - French and American snipers taking care of business under a cloak of darkness. I do just hate that things have to come to such violent ends. But come on - the pirates gave very little choice otherwise. [And before that end, I would like to point out that an injured pirate was taken aboard the American Navy ship for medical treatment - he hurt his hand in the piracy scuffle back aboard The Alabama. Oh the irony.] And yet now I fear the festered response; we've already seen that the Somali pirates have come back in full force these past two days since the American captain was freed and their pirate comrades killed. A report surfaced in recent hours that another attempt was made on a different American ship today - and again, was unsuccessful. Once more, toot your own fog horn, America. Again the irony is not lost - this ship too is carrying food aid to Kenya. Oh gol-ly. Oh Life. The world.

1 comment:

Nina said...

Can I just get my news from you? Pick out the stuff I need to know and blog about it. I am very dissatisfied with all available news sources...