Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's Cool to Be Kind


Kindness melts my defenses.
Nearly every time.
This week, given Jon’s departure, tears are not uncommon.  However, I have found if I am in ‘Go’ mode and keeping busy, those tears come less often.  Alright!
The kink in this plan is that I know a lot of nice people, and as usual they are being kind to me.  Almost as soon as a warm voice extends kindness to me I sort of dissolve and my voice squeaks while I am trying to speak evenly. HA! (Note: if you are one of said kind people leaving me voice mails, please keep leaving them!  I may not return these calls due to aforementioned reaction to kindness.  Do not be offended!  It's me, not you.)
Yesterday I read about complimentary military tickets for the Jax Symphony Holiday Pops concert.  (I have been wanting to go to this!)  I spoke with Bill at the JSO and learned that in order to qualify for the tickets, military families must accompany their active duty service members in uniform.  “Oh,” I responded.  And explained that Jon just left, but would I still be eligible for one ticket?  He refused.  Then proceeded to tell me there would be two complimentary tickets for me at will call because it was not acceptable for me to go alone.  I love Bill!
I hung up before he could hear the emotion rise in my voice and promptly had a grateful cry on the couch next to Annie.  (For questions concerning the identity of ‘Annie’, read here.)
In the time since I’ve been married to Jon I’ve sort of balked (though taken advantage of) ‘free’ and ‘discounted’ things offered occasionally to military simply because I have not felt deserving of any special treatment.  I still don’t believe I deserve it, but as a recipient, I am moved and encouraged by the kindness.  The thing about kindness is that no one HAS to do it.  We choose to be kind, and that’s what makes it powerful. 
I imagine Bill looks like this.  ---->
I realize this is Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy’s, but didn’t he always seem like the nicest, warm-hearted sir?
For a good perspective on a simple goal of kindness for the holidays, read Nina’s thoughts HERE.

No comments: