Monday, July 27, 2009

And I'll Gladly Stand Up Next to You

About a month ago I was driving down Atlantic Avenue on a perfect summer afternoon. While passing the A.R.E. (Oh Edgar Casey, what a gift of endearing kookiness you have given - Shout out to Church-Date-Charlie circa 2001) I glanced up to see this sign fastened to a telephone pole along the side of the road. See below. I briefly debated returning for a picture and decided that yes, it was worth it.









I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read the names of the bride and groom to be joined together as one.


Seriously OSTENDORF and GOMEZ?!


In what other country would these two heritages find one another and marry?


See, this made me love America. Let your eyes climb above the wedding sign on the telephone pole and note the American flag unfurled. How silly and lovely.




Lately I am obsessed with the history of Ellis Island and with the quotes of immigrants processed there. The first one was a 15 year-old girl, Annie Moore from County Cork in Ireland (Richie!) on New Year's Day 1892 and the last one walked though Ellis Island in 1954. Fascinating. Always makes me cry as I consider families who sought new life, what they left behind, and all the victory and heartache that accompanied their risks. I respect them so much for their risk. They built America. Their enterprising spirits, work ethics, and values laid the foundation for the abundance and posterity that characterize my charmed life (and organized roads, and the infrastructure to create the SPCA, and the FDA, this list goes on and on - these are things I am generally most grateful for while travelling in developed countries.)




"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep to know our heritage --


to know who we are and where we have come from."


Alex Haley, Roots








In closing, The New Colossus by Emma Lazurus


Inscribed into stone at the foundation of the Statue of Liberty




Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome;
her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


1 comment:

Ariana said...

That is really funny, hahaha. My great-grandfather came in through Ellis Island. My dad's aunt or cousin or something found out our entire family history right down to what page he signed his name on when coming into Ellis. Just a FUN FACT for you.