Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Olympics. Yes Please.



Something about the romance of The Olympics sparks memories and inspires future aspirations of grandeur.  I find that recently being married offers the perfect opportunity to convince another of one's past athletic prowess.

Today two events have catapulted Jon Horne down Memory Lane and seem to be rekindling deep-seated passion for sport.

On table tennis
After regaling me with tales of childhood ping pong victories, he considers his deployment to Asia in December, "I'm gonna go crazy in Japan. I'm gonna bring my own paddle."

On volleyball, after I mentioned that I love seeing someone at the net surprise the defense with a soft lob rather than spike it:
J: "Oh I know.  You know what they used to call me?"
 [beat]
E: "What?"
J: "'Placement.'"

No comments: