Monday, December 31, 2012

Hail To The Redskins

I'll tell you what   ...   I like The Washington Redskins.  I really like Robert Griffin III: his demeanor and the new life he's breathed into our hometown team.  But you know who I really, really like? (besides Jon Horne)

Rookie and 6th Round draft pick, Alfred Morris.  COME. ON. 

We beat the Cowboys tonight to win the NFC East and I liked him immediately while watching his post-game interview.  Unassuming, grateful.  What a humble sir!  Evidently he broke some record for rushing tonight, but he didn't seem phased, just expressed that this whole experience was more than he could have ever dreamed.  HOW.REFRESHING.  I looked at my dad with my hand over my heart and Glenn goes, "Yeah, according to Ryan he's a real nice kid."

And so in this day and age what does one do to satisfy a celebrity curiosity?  Duh, I googled him.

He instantly catapulted to the top of my "Most Favorite Famous People" List.  Look at the man's car.


The bloggers calculated that he made well above the necessary funds for a new car down payment, but our Mr. Morris said of his 1991 Mazda 626:"It has some sentimental value to it now.  It just keeps me grounded, where I came from and all the hard work for me to get to this point. So that's what helps me." The Redskins Blog


That's it.  New favorite.  

Even The Washington Post wanted 'in' on this unusual, awesome story.  Turns out Morris bought the car during his junior year at Florida Atlantic Univ.  Incidentally, the team went 1-11 during Morris' senior year. Makes me like him even more.
Look, I don't pretend to know a lot about football, but I was reared learning Hail To The Redskins alongside The Itsy Bitsy Spider.  And I do love the 'Skins.  A few years ago I ran into a very kind, older gentleman when I was working in DC and had an entire conversation with him.  Walking away, I commented that he "sure was a nice guy."  My friend, Andy rolled his eyes and said, "Erin, that was Joe Gibbs." 



FIGHT FOR OLE DC!!!

No comments: